OSTEOPOROSIS WORKOUT – DVD (in-house duplication)
• Special guest Dr. Kohlmeier reviews the factors affecting bone health
• Features leg strengthening and balance training
• Total running time: approximately 27 minutes
• NOTE: We now duplicate this DVD in-house from our edit system. It will be delivered in a clear case, not as pictured.
The Osteoporosis Workout video is Sit and Be Fit’s third to feature both seated and standing exercises. In keeping with Sit and Be Fit’s exercise principles, it focuses on posture, balancing out the body, and functional fitness.
Additionally, it includes valuable medical information about osteoporosis from Dr. Lynn Kohlmeier, an osteoporosis specialist. Osteoporosis is a disease of thinning of the bones which causes them to be susceptible to fracture. Dr. Kohlmeier briefly discusses the nutritional and exercise requirements for healthy bones, and medical therapies for those who have osteoporosis.
The exercises on the video are specifically designed to help participants with or at risk for osteoporosis to improve their bone strength, posture, leg strength, and balance to reduce their risk of fractures and falls. This is an important video and incorporates much of the knowledge scientists have gained about osteoporosis since Sit and Be Fit’s first Osteoporosis Specialty Video was released in 1993. Approximately 8 million women and 2 million men in the US have osteoporosis, and another 18 million are at risk for developing the disease. As a society, it is crucial that we reduce the risk of osteoporosis and of the fractures it causes. The National Osteoporosis Foundation reports that over 1.5 million osteoporosis fractures occur annually at a cost exceeding $14 billion per year. The toll in human suffering is also great: fractures result in loss of height, stooped posture, severe pain, and disability leading to expensive long term care, and even to death. (Released in 2006) –Reviewed by Lori McCormick, PT
Total running time: approximately 27 minutes
|Circulation Exercises||2:03||Seated||Griddle Cake Rag|
|Band Exercises||4:10||Seated||Day In Day Out|
|Leg Strengthening||3:18||Seated/Standing||High Heels Hot Deals|
|Balance Exercises||3:14||Seated/Standing||Boogie Woogie|
|Leg Strengthening||2:00||Seated/Standing||Old Home PlaceStarry Night|
To help conquer the consequences of osteoporosis, the Osteoporosis II video is packed full of beneficial exercises that emphasize:
- Awareness of the ‘core’ muscles (i.e. the muscles of the torso that give the body a strong foundation from which to move);
- Awareness and strength of the postural muscles to help keep our bodies in good alignment and improve the strength of the bones of the spine;
- Leg strength, particularly of the thigh muscles and the muscles on the outside of the hip to improve stability and help reduce the risk of falls while strengthening bones of the hip; and
- Balance training and weight shifting movements to improve balance and reduce fall risk.
Heavy, Light, Medium, X-Heavy, X-Light