By Mary Ann Wilson, RN
Here are is a sampling of some of our favorite exercises for neuropathy involving the hand and fingers taken from the Sit and Be Fit television series.
1. Touch the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger, making a circle. Stretch the hand open. Repeat with the middle, ring, and little fingers in succession.
2. Touch the pad of the thumb with the pad of the index finger. Move the index finger down to the base of the thumb. Repeat twice with the index, middle, ring, and little fingers in succession.
3. Place palms of your hands on your lap. Lift index fingers twice, and tap your lap. Repeat twice with each finger in succession.
4. Clasp your hands loosely together. Circle your thumbs around each other.
Try these seated exercises for neuropathy involving the feet, ankles, and legs taken from the Sit and Be Fit television series.
1. Keeping heels on the floor, lift your toes off the floor, and tap them vigorously. Repeat 5 times.
2. Keeping heels together and on the floor, lift your toes off the floor as high as possible. Turn toes out, and put them back on the floor. Your feet should form a “V”. Lift your toes again, bring them together, and put them back on the floor. Repeat 5 times.
3. Straighten one knee. Point and flex your foot and ankle 5 times. Circle ankle clockwise then counter clockwise 5 times each. Repeat on the other side.
4. Roll a small ball (such as a tennis ball) underneath your foot, providing a great “self-massage”.
Please consult with your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
Our advice is in no way intended to take the place of medical counseling.
© 2013 Sit and Be Fit™
Click here for balance exercises for neuropathy.
Click here to learn more about neuropathy.